some patients are accidentally overdosing on their methotrexate
The Institute for Safe Medication Practices is alerting us that some patients are accidentally overdosing on their methotrexate.
The problem stems from the fact that methotrexate is used DAILY to treat cancer...but often WEEKLY for most other conditions...rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, etc.
Some patients who are supposed to get once WEEKLY dosing end up taking it DAILY along with their other meds. This can lead to life-threatening toxicity...liver damage, bone marrow suppression, and GI bleeding.